Better Support for People with Hypermobility
Simon Dickinson, Clinical Director & Consultant Orthotist, TalarMade Ltd
Laura Barr, Advanced Specialist Orthotist, MSK Team Lead for Orthotics at NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
Chris Cox, Teaching Fellow, National Centre for Prosthetics & Orthotics, University of Strathclyde
By the end of this event the participant will be able to:
• Describe normal Foot and Ankle function
• Describe a range of MSK Foot and Ankle pathologies
• Define the tests required for differential diagnosis of a range of Musculoskeletal Foot and Ankle pathologies
• Demonstrate competence in interpreting the outcomes of a range of diagnostic tests
• Utilise imaging as part of the MSK patient assessment
• Demonstrate the ability to differentially diagnose a range of Musculoskeletal Foot and Ankle conditions
• Perform a thorough biomechanical examination to determine the biomechanical deficit
• Establish an evidence-based holistic treatment plan to address the presenting issue
• Generate a detailed evidence-based orthotic prescription, management plan including anticipated outcome
• Orthotists who have not previously attended the “Assessment, Diagnosis and Treatment of Musculoskeletal Foot and Ankle Problems for Orthotists” course
• AHP’s regularly involved in treating adult MSK foot and ankle conditions
• Orthotists who attended the “Assessment, Diagnosis and Treatment of Musculoskeletal Foot and Ankle
Problems for Orthotists” between 2015 – 2016
Please note this course is not available to Students.
Macdonald Tickled Trout Hotel, Preston New Road, Preston, PR5 0UJ.
Date & Time: Monday 26 – Tuesday 27 February 2024
Registration 8:30-9:00am on day 1.
Start 9:00am, finish 5:00pm on both days.
2 day course ticket includes lunch and refreshments
We encourage Orthotist attendees to apply for reimbursement from the Orthotic Education and Training Trust. Application forms are available from the OETT or BAPO websites www.oett.org.uk or www.bapo.com Requests for reimbursement must include evidence of reflective learning using the CPD form provided on the website.
Tickets: SOLD OUT
Series date: 5 February — 11 March 2024
Time: Every Monday evening from 19:00 to 21:00 (GMT)
Course convenors: Mr Michail Kokkinakis & Mr Gavin Spence, Consultant Orthopaedic Surgeons
Orthopaedic Research UK is pleased to announce its first Online Course in Spinal Conditions for Allied Healthcare Professionals, presented by a prestigious multidisciplinary panel from spinal units in the UK and beyond. This course is suitable for all clinicians with an interest in spinal conditions, including nurses, orthotists, physios, osteopaths, occupational therapists and chiropracters. In six weekly webinars we will cover some of the most important topics in both adult and paediatric practice, including degenerative conditions and the management of spinal deformity.
All sessions will be recorded. You will be able to watch these up to 12 weeks post course.
Week 1, Monday 5th February: Assessment of the operated spinal deformity, problems arising and when revision might be considered. Guest speaker: Sriram Harish Srinivasan, Consultant Spinal Surgeon
Institution: Kettering Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Week 2, Monday 12th February: Spondylolysis. Current concepts on definition, diagnosis and management
Guest Speakers: Jonathan Lucas, Consultant Spinal Surgeon
Laura Kenison, Advanced Spinal Physiotherapy Practitioner
Institution: Evelina London Children’s Hospital
Week 3, Monday 19th February: Adult Spinal Deformity. All you need to know
Guest Speakers: Panos Liantis, Consultant Spinal Surgeon
Rashida Pickford, Consultant Spinal Physiotherapist
Kathy Payne, Consultant Spinal Physiotherapist
Institution: Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust
Week 4, Monday 26th February: Neuromuscular scoliosis in children. The experience from a tertiary referral centre.
Guest Speakers: Neil Davidson, Consultant Spinal Surgeon
Kristine Gatti, Advanced Spinal Physiotherapy Practitioner
Sarah Gregson, Advanced Spinal Physiotherapy Practitioner
Institution: Alder Hey Children’s Hospital
Week 5, Monday 4th March: Degenerative spine – Disease spectrum and management options
Guest Speaker: Sandesh Lakkol, Consultant Spinal Surgeon
Institution: Health Point Hospital, Abu Dhabi
Week 6, Monday 11th March: Idiopathic Scoliosis in children. Braces, modern trends, national trials and myths Guest Speakers: Ashley Cole, Consultant Spinal Surgeon
Candice Sutcliffe, Paediatric Spinal Extended Scope Physiotherapist
Andrew Mills, Spinal Clinical Specialist Orthotist
We will provide delegates with a certificate of attendance.
Monday 9 October 2023 6pm – 7pm
EDI, allyship and subconscious bias presentation hosted by: Gemma Cassidy, Mental Health / Wellbeing and EDI Lead – BAPO, Bhavna Mehta, Paediatric Orthotist in Alder Hey Children’s Hospital, Florence Goodwin, Acting Chair, Professional Affairs Committee, Member, Research Committee – BAPO
EDI talk for National Inclusion Week. This presentation will help to define what equality, diversity and inclusion (EDI) is, who it protects, why it is important and what it means in clinical practice. We will also discuss allyship and how the wider P & O community can help to improve EDI, in addition to exploring the subconscious bias’ that we can all hold.
We have uploaded it to the BAPO YouTube channel for everyone to access, via the button below.
- Pre-registration learners
- Preceptorship leads within their respective organisations
- Service/department leads with responsibilities related to prosthetists and orthotists.
- BAPO Preceptorship Update – Presented by Krista Asoluka from BAPO, who provided insights into preceptorship guidelines and best practices
- HCPC Preceptorship Update – Mark Platt from HCPC offered the regulator’s perspective on its ‘Principles for preceptorship’ work and their implications for prosthetists and orthotists
- National Preceptorship Update – Amanda Weaver from NHSE WT&E provided crucial updates regarding preceptorship from a national perspective
- Case Study: Georgia Dayes from Steepers shared her personal experience of her preceptorship program
- Question and Answer Session – An interactive session to address any queries or thoughts
Mark Platt – https://www.linkedin.com/in/markaplatt/
We would like to invite you to an upcoming webinar that will focus on the development of a Practice-Based Learning (PBL) framework for the P&O workforce. This webinar is an opportunity for you to learn about the new framework and provide feedback on its development.
During the webinar, we will present the concept and structure of the PBL framework, and discuss how it links to other key areas of work.
The presentation will be followed by a Q&A session, where you will have the chance to ask any questions you may have and provide feedback on the framework.