This page details all of our upcoming short courses, these can all also be found and booked in the Events page of the members section.
We hope to announce further MSK courses for 2023 and 2024 shortly.
MSK Foot & Ankle: Holistic Management & Treatment Strategies
This 2 day face-to-face short course offers participants an opportunity to learn about the orthotic management of musculoskeletal (MSK) disorders of the foot and ankle in a group setting (maximum 16 participants). The experienced faculty of three Orthotists will share their knowledge and skills in both theory and practical sessions.
Prior to the commencement of the course, registrants will be asked to read four designated full text journal articles. During the course, participants will attend taught theoretical sessions mixed with active learning which will involve dividing into smaller groups to interpret x-rays and assess each other’s feet and ankles with feedback and guidance from the faculty team.
The course offers participants an intimate, focussed, and friendly learning environment away from the bustle of everyday clinical work to refresh their knowledge with best available evidence and equip them with the skills to enable them to build their confidence and MSK practice.
This event aims to equip Orthotists and other AHP’s regularly involved in treating adult MSK foot and ankle conditions with the assessment, diagnostic and image interpretation skills to enable them to differentially diagnose and holistically manage Musculoskeletal foot and ankle conditions.
- Simon Dickinson, Clinical Director & Consultant Orthotist, TalarMade Ltd
- Laura Barr, Advanced Specialist Orthotist, MSK Team Lead for Orthotics at NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde
- Chris Cox, Teaching Fellow, National Centre for Prosthetics & Orthotics, University of Strathclyde
Talarmade Ltd, Edinburgh House, Millenium Way, Chesterfield, S41 8ND
Date and time:
Monday 25 – Tuesday 26 September 2023
Registration 8:30-9:00am day 1. Start 9:00am, finish 5:00pm both days
2 day course ticket includes lunch and refreshments
By the end of this event the participant will be able to:
- Describe normal Foot and Ankle function
- Describe a range of MSK Foot and Ankle pathologies
- Define the tests required for differential diagnosis of a range of Musculoskeletal Foot and Ankle pathologies
- Demonstrate competence in interpreting the outcomes of a range of diagnostic tests
- Utilise imaging as part of the MSK patient assessment
- Demonstrate the ability to differentially diagnose a range of Musculoskeletal Foot and Ankle conditions
- Perform a thorough biomechanical examination to determine the biomechanical deficit
- Establish an evidence-based holistic treatment plan to address the presenting issue
- Generate a detailed evidence-based orthotic prescription, management plan including anticipated outcome
- Orthotists who have not previously attended the “Assessment, Diagnosis and Treatment of Musculoskeletal Foot and Ankle Problems for Orthotists” course
- AHP’s regularly involved in treating adult MSK foot and ankle conditions and
- Orthotists who attended the “Assessment, Diagnosis and Treatment of Musculoskeletal Foot and Ankle Problems for Orthotists” between 2015 – 2016
Please note this course is not available to Students.
We encourage Orthotist attendees to apply for reimbursement from the Orthotic Education and Training Trust.
Applications can be made from the OETT website www.oett.org.uk